September in Scotland is a wonderful month as Summer turns to Autumn and nature begins the stunning annual display of Autumnal colours. With quieter roads, and still often warm days, although a bit nippier at night, a holiday in Scotland in September can prove just perfect.
If you’ve got a specific week for your getaway, then our Last Minute Vacancies page is the best place to start. You can also narrow your search down to location as well as date.
For a general browse of last minute holidays in Scotland this September we’ve put together this nice list….hope it helps you find somewhere special for your September escape.
Jump straight to: Scottish Borders; Dumfries & Galloway; Lothians; Isle of Arran; Loch Lomond & Trossachs; Fife and Kinross; Isle of Jura; Isle of Mull; Isle of Skye; Dundee; Aberdeenshire; Moray; Banffshire; Inverness-shire; Wester Ross; Isle of Harris; Isle of Lewis; Uist; Orkney Islands; Shetland. (use the browser back button to return to this section)
- Dimpleknow Mill, near Selkirk and Melrose, is a converted farm mill which has undergone extensive building and refurbishment work to make it into a stunning, extremely well presented and very desirable holiday accommodation. The property has also been given the Accessible Category 2 award, which means that it is accessible to a wheelchair user who is travelling with assistance. This also makes it particularly suitable for elderly visitors. Sleeps 6. Available w/c 29th Sept.
- Dimpleknowe Holiday Cottage near Selkirk and Melrose, is a modern, well-equipped, detached bungalow which is situated at the northern end of the estates golf course. Sleeps 5. Available weeks commencing 21st Sept and 29th Sept.
Dumfries & Galloway:
- Drumfad Barn is luxury self catering accommodation that sleeps 4/6, near the harbour village of Port William. Newly renovated this year to an exceptionally high standard, The Barn has a ground source heat pump and solar panels providing underfloor heating and hot water 24 hours a day. Pet friendly, and enclosed garden. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th Sept.
- Arnimean Cottage is a white washed stone built cottage near Glentrool, nestled between the hills and woods on the edge of the Galloway Forest, with unspoilt views of the Galloway hills. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 15th Sept and 22nd Sept.
- Drumfad Cottage, near the picturesque harbour village of Port William, built circa 1800, has been fully refurbished to an exceptional standard, both inside and out and benefits from 24-hour underfloor heating and hot water in an environmentally sustainable way. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 10th, 15th, and 22nd Sept. Special offer:– 7 nights £394.00 or a short break 4/5 nights £307.00
- Woodturner’s Cottage is a beautifully renovated Visit Scotland 4 star rated, self-catering cottage located on the owners’ working dairy and arable farm near the picturesque village of Gifford in East Lothian. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th Sept – Last Minute Deal £375 per week (usually £550)
- Carrick Cottage is the upper 2 bedroomed level of the old coach man’s house situated on a working farm – an idyllic rural retreat in the beautiful Midlothian countryside. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 8th and 15th September.
- Gairnshiel Cottage is set within the peaceful tranquillity of an organic farm overlooking the Pentland Hills and Cobbinshaw Loch in West Lothian, only 22 miles from the centre of Edinburgh. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 29th September.
- No 5 Bellevue Terrace in Edinburgh City, is a charming drawing room, two-bedroom apartment situated on the first floor of an impressive Georgian building in one of the beautiful tree lined crescents in Edinburgh’s historic 18th Century New Town. Located close to vibrant Broughton Street with its restaurants, bars and shops, it is only ten minutes walk from the city centre and Harvey Nichols. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 15th and 22nd September.
Isle of Arran
- Netherby is a beautiful, completely renovated cottage in the village of Whiting Bay, directly opposite the seafront and just a short walk from the village shops, hotel and tearoom. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Belvedere Cottage is a new, custom-built self-catering property in Brodick, adjacent to the Belvedere Guest House and only a five-minute walk from the ferry terminal and all local amenities. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 15th September.
- Eryb Cottage is situated in an elevated position on the southern tip of the Island, with stunning views over the Ayrshire coastline and westwards to Ireland and beyond. The cottage sleeps 3/5 & baby. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September. Special offer:– Bookings of 2 people only get a 10% discount.
- Barnstable Cottage originally was a barn and stable for Clydesdale horses, and stored hay and corn. Now a wonderful semi-detached holiday cottage adjoining ‘Eryb Cottage’ in Shannochie. The cottage sleeps 6 & a baby. Available weeks commencing 29th September.
- Machrie Farm Cottage is situated about half a mile inland from Machrie Bay, and just 100 yards up the hill from the House of Machrie, surrounded on two sides by trees and looking out over Machrie Farm to the south-west and to the sea and the hills of Kintyre beyond. Sleeps 5. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd, and 29th September. Special offer:– Dougarie Estate will provide a free golf pass for 2 people for the Machrie Bay Golf course for the duration of stay for anyone booking the farm cottage in September, October or November (quote JN02).
- High Dougarie Farmhouse enjoys superb views across the Kilbrannan Sound to Kintyre and the surrounding hills. Stone built in the traditional manner around 100 years ago, and includes its own courtyard. Sleeps 8. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd, and 29th September. Special offer:– Dougarie Estate will provide a free golf pass for 2 people for the Machrie Bay Golf course for the duration of stay for anyone booking the farmhouse in September, October or November (quote JN02).
- Kilbride Cottage in Shannochie is situated in a very peaceful location amidst idyllic countryside. Previously a farm cottage, built around 1880/1890, the property has its own garden with views westward to the Argyll peninsula and south to Ailsa Craig and beyond. Sleeps 4/6 & baby. Available weeks commencing 22nd, and 29th September. Special offer:–Bookings of 2 people only get a 10% discount.
Loch Lomond and Trossachs
- Curlew Cottage is a spacious bright cottage which comfortably sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms, on East Cambusmoon Farm, a 5 acre smallholding on the outskirts of the village of Gartocharn at the southern end of the world famous Loch Lomond. Neighbours with The Old Dairy, a beautifully renovated red sandstone building dating from the mid-1850s which has been converted into a cottage sleeping up to 4 people in 2 bedrooms. Available separately or together for weeks commencing 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th September. Short Breaks also available: 3 nights Friday-Monday option or 4 nights Monday-Friday.
- Briar Steading is a south facing cottage designed for luxury self catering holidays, in Lochearnhead, Perthshire, within the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. Tastefully decorated and open all year round, the cottage is ideal for two couples or a family of four with two bedrooms, both ensuite. Available weeks commencing 8th and 15th September. Special offer:– Week 8-15th September price £775 and you receive £50 free petrol or Lochearnhead Hotel restaurant voucher. Week 15th-22nd price £700 plus the same voucher offer for a 7 nights stay.
- Little Briar is a 2 bedroom stone cottage set within three acres of private ornamental gardens, enjoying south views over Loch Earn, the surrounding hills and forests and a 15th century castle. Sleeps 4 plus 1 dog, or 2 adults with 2 dogs. Available week commencing 22nd September. Special offer:– Week 22-29th September - Free voucher for afternoon tea for 2 at the Four Seasons Hotel, St Fillans for 7 night bookings only (short breaks available from 3 nights at £315)
Fife and Kinross
- Fountain House, built circa 1690, is nestled on the High Street of the historic village of Falkland, situated at the foot of East Lomond Hill in the heart of the Kingdom of Fife. Fountain House comfortably sleeps up to six adults and two children. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th and 29th September.
Isle of Jura
- Otter Cottage is located near the north end of the Isle of Jura, in a quiet bay overlooking the Sound of Jura. A wonderful place to relax and enjoy the scenery and wildlife including Red Deer, seals and otters. Sleeps 4. New to holiday lettings and available weeks commencing 8th, 15th 22nd and 29th September.
Isle of Mull
- Rowan cottage is located within the village of Salen on the magical island of Mull. The cottages central location makes it an ideal location from which to explore the island. Only a short walk takes you to Salen Bay where seals and otters are regularly seen. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
Isle of Skye
- Harris Cottage on Skye is a traditional, but extended and completely refurbished, 2 bedroom croft cottage situated on the Minginish Peninsula, with views to Loch Harport. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th 22nd and 29th September. Special Offer:- £50 off any new full week’s bookings for September/October (pro-rata for shorter stays).
- Taigh an Tobair is a newly refurbished single storey house, situated about five miles out of Dunvegan, with views out to sea and the islands, within easy walking distance of the world famous Three Chimneys Restaurant, and Loch Dunvegan where seals are often to be seen playing around the shoreline. Sleeps 5. Available week commencing 8th September.
- Kirkhill is peacefully located above Loch Harport, but within a few yards of Carbost village, which has a shop, post office, pub/restaurant and the famous Talisker Whisky Distillery. Carbost is centrally located for exploring all of Skye by car, and for walkers, the lure of the Cuillin Hills are just a few miles away. Sleeps 9. Available week commencing 29th September.
- Trotternish Cottage is located on a croft at the northern tip of Skye, and offers a comfortable and peaceful base for adventuring out to explore the awesome scenery of nearby hills and coastline. Sleeps 5. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th 22nd and 29th September.
- Tigh Sona and Island View are two seperate holiday flats that can also be rented all together in Dunhallin in the Waternish area on the north west of the Island. Sleeping 4 people in Tigh Sona and 2 people in Island View or 6 people in both. Good availability for 2012, as they have just started. Island View available weeks commencing 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th September. Tigh Sona available week commencing 29th September.
- Bonn na Cnoc is a newly built cottage sleeping 4, situated in the north the Isle of Skye on the Trotternish Peninsula with views across The Minch to the Outer Isles. A 30 minute drive to Portree and only 6 miles from Uig where you will find a local shop, restaurant, post office and the port for the ferry to the Western Isles. Available week commencing 15th September.
- ‘Taigh an t-Sithein‘ holiday bungalow is a 1970s croft house in the crofting community of Braes, near Portree, enjoying superb views across the sea to the island of Raasay and along the coastline from most of the rooms. Sleeps 6. Available week commencing 29th September.
- Glen Prosen, one of 5 similar lodges situated on the Forbes of Kingennie Country Resort, is nestled in the Angus Countryside yet is only a short drive from Dundee. The layout of this lodge has the lounge on the first floor boasting views of the golf course. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th September. Enquire for midweek discounts and last minute discounts.
- Kingennie Court lodges were opened in July 2007, the newest addition to the Forbes of Kingennie Estate. These two superior lodges both sleep up to 10 people in 5 twin bedded rooms all with ensuite shower rooms. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th September. Enquire for midweek discounts and last minute discounts.
- Glen Esk and Glen Isla lodges, again on the Kingennie Resort, each sleep 4 and are available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September. Enquire for midweek discounts and last minute discounts.
- Honeysuckle Cottage is a 100-year old, charming, stone-built, semi–detached property located in the pretty conservation village of Fordyce. There is excellent walking from the doorstep, and the many attractions of the area including the Cairngorm National Park, are within easy driving distnce. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Lossie cottage is situated at the heart of the popular seaside town of Lossiemouth on Scotlands beautiful Moray Firth. Ideal for exploring the castle & whisky trails, Moray Firth coast and many top class golf courses. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 29th September. Enquire for availability of short breaks.
- Rhahomura Cottage is a detached holiday cottage in the seaside village of Cullen, in Moray. Comfortably sleeping 10 people in 5 Double Bedrooms (one with En-Suite Bathroom) and is situated only a short walk from the town centre and within walking distance of the harbour, beautiful sandy beach and 18 hole links golf course. Available weeks commencing 8th and 15th September. Enquire for lower occupancy rates and short breaks.
- Clavie Cottage, located in Burghead on the Moray Firth, with its stunning coastal setting on your doorstep yet within an hours drive you can explore Inverness & Loch Ness, the Cairngorm national park, castles, whisky distilleries and countless golf courses! Sleeps 5. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September. Enquire for availability of short breaks.
- The Old Bakehouse, within sight and sound of the sea, is ideal for a family holiday. Located in a traditional lane leading down to the harbour front, this lovely two bedroomed cottage ( sleeps 4) is in the picturesque 17th Century fishing village of Portsoy. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th and 22nd September.
- 15 Low Shore is a delightful 2 bedroom detached cottage (sleeps 4) situated in the charming fishing village of Whitehills, on the Moray coast – famous for it’s Moray Firth Dolphins. The cottage is well positioned on the coastal trail which has an abundance of sealife and wildlife, as well as beautiful sandy beaches, and is only 3 miles from Banff. Available weeks commencing 12th, 15th and 22nd September. Special Offer:- £200 per week plus elec and gas. Please enquire for Short Breaks.
- Ravenswood Holiday Cottage is a self catering holiday cottage situated in the heart of the Scottish Highlands half way between Fort William and Aviemore. Sleeping 7, it has stunning views overlooking the Pattack River and Ardverikie Estate (the main location of the BBC series “Monarch of the Glen”). Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th September.
- The Pines Self Catering Cottage is a detached, comfortable cottage located in the village of Kinlochewe and is ideal for walkers climbers or people who wish to just chill out in the Highlands. Located in its own spacious grounds you just walk over the road and you are in the hills! Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Airdaniar self catering cottage is situated on the spectacular Applecross coast in Wester Ross, and three miles from Beachcomber Cottage, site of the BBC2 programme Monty Halls’ Great Escape. An ideal holiday location for those wishing to relax, unwind and enjoy the tranquillity and romance of the Western Highlands of Scotland. Sleeps 4. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Nia Roo self catering is nestled in an elevated position below the Five Sisters of Kintail Mountain Ridge. The cottage enjoys magnificent views over Loch Duich and the crofting Township of Morvich together with fantastic self catering facilities. New build 2011. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Hawthorn Cottage is a charming property set in its own garden and located in a quiet street near the centre of Plockton. As such it is only a few minutes walk from all amenities. The cottage sleeps 4 and is all on one level, providing a very comfortable place to stay in a beautiful area. Available weeks commencing 15th September.
- ‘Off the Rails‘ at Plockton Station offers a truly unique holiday experience providing all the discerning holidaymaker could be looking for. Nestled above the village of Plockton with the Cuillin of Skye as a backdrop, the station can accommodate up to 6 people, with parking just outside the building, and just a few minutes from the centre of Plockton village. Available weeks commencing 29th September.
Isle of Harris
- Beannachd is a five-bedroomed self catering house (sleeps 12), designed in the Hebridean style but with all the comforts and luxury one would expect of a modern holiday home. Situated just a few hundred metres from the white sands and clear turquoise seas of Horgabost beach, with the beaches of Nisabost, Seilebost, Scarista and Luskentryre all close by. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th and 22nd September.
- Bayhead is a large, well equipped 5 bedroomed family home (sleeps 10), set in a tranquil setting in South Harris. The whole house is ideal for a large family or simply for a couple who want plenty of space and privacy. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Cluer Cottage is the perfect base for exploring Harris, relaxing in the evening, sitting at the front of the house watching the sunset and listening to the sounds of the sea. This spacious 3 bedroom self catering Holiday house sleeps up to 8 and overlooks Loch Stockinish on the east coast of the Isle of Harris. Available weeks commencing 8th, 22nd and 29th September.
- Glen Carragrich cottage is a 3 bedroomed, self catering cottage (sleeps 6) situated in Glen Carragrich, 3 miles from Tarbert and commands wonderful views of East Loch Tarbert, the island of Scotasay and distant Skye. It is only a 15 minute drive from the spectacular beaches of South Harris and Hushinish. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th September.
- Rosamol set in the idyllic village of Luskentyre, boasts one of the finest beaches in the world. Newly onto the self-catering scene this well equipped, 4 bedroomed (sleeps 9) split level property will provide for you, your family or friends an ideal base from which to explore the delights of a Hebridean holiday. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th September.
Isle of Lewis
- 2B Habost House is a traditional croft house situated a 50 minutes walk from the lighthouse on the Outer Hebrides’ dramatic northernmost point. The magnificent beaches on the Atlantic side are 1/2 a mile away, as are the beach and harbour at the Port of Ness. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th September.
- Whitefalls Spa Lodges are bespoke designed ecoluxury 5* spa lodges for couples in a tranquil & romantic setting. Private and secluded with panoramic 360 degree views of the Uig & Harris hills, secluded lochs and a dramatic waterfall from which the lodges taken their name. They offer the added luxury features in the form of your very own exclusive Spa, mini-gym and the very latest in technology. Sleeps 2. Available weeks commencing 15th, 22nd and 29th September.
- No. 1 New Tolsta is an original stone built croft house situated on the East Coast of the lovely Isle of Lewis. Approx 14 miles from the town of Stornoway, convenient for the airport and ferry terminal and less than 5 minutes walk from the Traigh Mhor and the popular Garry Sands, almost a mile of undisturbed golden sands all suitable for bathing and surfing. Sleeps 7. Available weeks commencing 22nd, and 29th September.
- An Taigh Fiodh (the Wooden House) is a self-catering apartment on the island of Grimsay, North Uist in the Outer Hebrides/Western Isles. The luxurious, fully-equipped accommodation is on two floors and occupies one end of an original, architect-designed house (built 2006) with beautiful views overlooking the bay. Sleeps 2. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th September.
Special Offer:- Short Breaks available: Sat 29th Sept – Thurs 4th Oct or Mon 8th Oct – Sat 13th Oct. Both at the reduced rate of £200 for a 5 night stay.
- Croft Garden Cottage is a luxury coastal retreat sleeping 2. Sympathetically refurbished, this old croft house combines contemporary luxury with all the traditional comforts of a fine country hotel. The cottage sits at the heart of a traditional South Uist croft with panoramic sea views and a private walled garden. Available weeks commencing 15th, and 22nd September. Special Offer:- 15% discount on rates including short breaks (min 3 nights).
- ‘Glendale‘ self-catering accommodation on the island of Grimsay in the Western Isles of Scotland, is a self-contained annex overlooking Kallin Harbour. Located at the mid-point of the circular road round the island of Grimsay with easy access to Benbecula, North and South Uist via the causeways. Sleeps 2. Available weeks commencing 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th September. Special Offer:- Book 2 weeks, get second week half price.
- Parkhill, located on the beautiful island of North Uist which featured in the BBC programme – Monty Halls’ Great Hebridean Escape, is a self catering bungalow available throughout the year. With 3 bedrooms the bungalow sleeps 5 and takes advantage of its elevated position offering great views of the vast expanse of sea shore seperating North Uist from the island of Baleshare, with the Monach Isles visable on a clear day. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September.
- Buxa Farm Chalets are three Norwegian style semi-detached chalets off the A964 between Houton and Stromness in Orphir, situated on 20 acres of waterfront property that is under the Rural Stewardship scheme to preserve bird life. There is a bird hide on the property to observe birds up close on the pond. A children’s playpark adjacent to the croft house provides hours of play for young ones. Ramps, wide doors and lowered light switches make these units accessible for those with disabilities. Sleeps 5 or 15. Available weeks commencing 22nd and 29th September. Special Offer:- Short Breaks 3 nights for £200 and if additional nights are required they can be added for £50 a night.
- Highmount Cottage is a homely, refurbished, self catering cottage situated on the island of Burra connected to the Shetland mainland by bridges. It overlooks the scenic fishing village of Hamnavoe, the harbour, and the Atlantic Ocean beyond. Nearby there is beautiful scenery, sandy beaches, and many interesting walks. The area is an ideal base for bird watching. Sleeps 6. Available weeks commencing 8th and 15th September.